Sunday, August 3, 2008

New Apartment

Last week Hal and I went apartment shopping in Seattle and signed a lease on a 2br/2ba unit at Epi Apartments. The building is about 5 years old and includes a rooftop deck. It is located in the center of Fremont, aka the People's Republic of Fremont, aka the Center of the Universe, a neighborhood famous for its under-bridge troll, Lenin statue, and nude cyclists parade. While the neighborhood is often described as hippyish, don't think dirty hippies so much as hippies that work at companies like Adobe, Google, and Microsoft and like to eat organic food and talk about sustainability (our organic grocery store is conveniently next door to our building). Buses for downtown and the Microsoft Connector Shuttle pick up right outside, and we are about a block away from the Burke-Gilman bike trail, which I'll hopefully use to commute to work most days. My favorite venue of the neighborhood is Brouwer's, a pub featuring a large variety of imported Belgian beers and American craft beers on tap.

After claiming victory in our apartment search, I traveled to Vancouver via Greyhound bus to hang out with Heather and Stu. I don't recommend traveling to Canada via bus if you can avoid it (on the way back, we waited an hour and a half at customs; a 3 hour drive by car took about 6 hours by bus). I didn't feel too sorry for myself, though, since the girl I was sitting next to on the trip to Vancouver had just biked from Vancouver to Tijuana and was at the end of a 40-something hour bus trip back. On the way back, I was entertained/intimidated by the bus driver, played by Samuel L. Jackson. His name tag said something different, but I'm pretty sure it was SLJ in disguise and there were probably hidden cameras somewhere. I was waiting for him to say "I want these motherfucking cell phones off this motherfucking bus!" since he routinely threatened to kick people off the bus for talking too loudly on cell phones.

Bottom line: our new apartment and neighborhood both rock. Fun catching up with friends in both Seattle and Vancouver. [Picasa]

3 comments:

  1. Sam - Ted now has a link to your site. I think my name is going to come up as 'Mom' (sorry Robyn) but I never thought I would be into any blog other than Ted's.
    Any way, the apartment and neighborhood looks fantastic. Best of luck.
    Barbara Conbeer

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a sweet-looking apartment building. Almost as good as the new science library at Pton. And a very nice looking apartment. I would like to call dibs on sleeping on the roof deck (is it private?) during Seattle's least-rainiest season.

    Interesting thoughts on the Mojave business. The NYTimes picked up the story and had some interesting counterpoints (users didn't have to install any peripherals, e.g.), but I think MSoft proved a good point in that lots of people that hate Vista (and Msoft) let the hype (or anti-hype in this case) color their judgement. I'm percolating on a related post of my own, I'll hit you up with some linkage when it's at a point that would make a craft brewer proud.

    PS Please make the leap to Blogger in Draft, if for no other reason than the fact that your commenters will no longer have to visit this awful separate "comments page" to write things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've also traveled to Canada on a bus! Not a fun experience...

    Congrats on the new apartment! My apartment is not in a hippie neighborhood, but it is in Japan's largest sumo neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete